SMPlayer is a powerful multimedia player preferred by many GNU/Linux users due to its versatile features and it has just been updated to the version 15.11 (including SMTube -- its YouTube client, runs independently), bringing minor changes & bug fixes.
Despite its features, I think it looks ugly, something that’s designed for kids, which is mainly due to the giant & outdated default icon set. That however, can be somewhat ‘fixed’ since SMPlayer ships with big collection of icons (not a huge fan of most these icons either) and my favorite icon set is ‘Numix-Remix’.
Anyhow, according to the release notes page, this version includes the following changes:
- New options to seek to the previous or next subtitle (mpv only).
- New option to select the image format for the screenshots (mpv only).
- Fix a crash when changing the GUI.
- New option that allows to center the window automatically.
- A tooltip is now displayed in the time slider with the corresponding time of the mouse position.
- (Find subtitles) New option to specify if the language code should be appended to the subtitle filename.
- (Windows) The main window will be centered if it’s partially outside of the desktop after an auto resize.
- When adding files to the playlist the first item is moved to its correct place in the list.
- (Experimental) New action to start/stop capturing the playback stream.
- The thumbnail generator is much faster (up to 2x faster than before).
- Live Stream playback support added to SMTube.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install smplayer
That should do it, enjoy! (you can read the official release notes from here).